At FONATUR, you'll find a dedicated and reliable team of experienced specialists in the tourism industry - people who share the same mindset as the successful entrepreneur and who strive to create greater and better development prospects for the benefit of the entire nation.
Already one of the world's most popular tourist destinations, Mexico offers a bundle of opportunities for the private investor through FONATUR. Mexico is the world's 8th most visited country and ranks in 12th place in terms of foreign revenue earnings from tourism; in both categories, it is the leader in Latin America.
The country has seen successful results even through the difficult times the world as a whole is experiencing. In 2002, the number of foreign tourists who visited Mexico was similar to that of Canada and Germany: 19.8 million international visitors. While approximately the same number visited in 2001, in 2002 they spent more than 8.4 billion dollars, or 4.1% more than the year before. The average amount spent per visitor saw an increase of 5%.
Mexico has well-established strengths that allow it to compete globally:
- Attractions: Sun, Beaches, Culture, and an abundant and varied Wildlife (Mexico has the world's 5th largest biodiversity).
- Privileged geographic location: Mexico offers safe and easy access from the U.S., with convenient flights to vacation and business destinations.
- An extensive and diversified 35 billion-dollar tourism industry.
- One of our main assets is our human capital, offering experience and dedication, from the employee to the entrepreneur.
- Systematic promotion of the country through Mexico's Tourism Promotion Board (Consejo Mexicano de Promoción Turística, CMPT), whose investment for the present year will reach 73 million dollars.
Last update: 2018/04/13